Layered glass wave, sculptural memorial | “Patience. Love. Peace.”
This sculptural glass monument takes the form of a wave representing the unity of the individual with the whole, the dynamic among the observing. Wave is a fraction of the vast sea – it rises and merges back again, it is moved by the winds and gravitational forces. Similarly, a man throughout his life is moved by many different forces – visible, invisible, comprehensible and inconceivable. Being aware of yourself as a part of the whole, of nature; being patient, loving, and peaceful are the signs of a strong and wise man. Such a man was Valerij Maligin, the man to whom this memorial is dedicated.
This glass wave is a grave monument created in a vertical glass stacking technique. The majestic rough-worked facets of the stacked glass sheets provide the sunlight with a surface to reflect from similar to the sea waves – creating a mighty glittering phenomenon. Just like humans, who reveal themselves to each other in an interaction – the monument reveals new secrets to the viewer at different hours of the day, throughout the changing seasons, under the influence of changing atmospheric features. People mould each other and the environment in which they live by communicating. Valery has always expressed patience, love and peace. This is his most significant contribution to the lives of his fellow human beings.
- Technique: Vertical layered glass
- Type of glass: 8 mm Clear Glass
- Size (mm): 950 (H) x 1600 (W) x 680 (D)
- Size (in): 37.4″ (H) x 63″ (W) x 27″ (D)
- The composition is complemented by a gray granite circle: 570 (H) x 600 (W) x 150 (D) mm | 22.4″ (H) x 24″ (W) x 6″ (D)
- Gray granite foundation: 150 (H) x 2000 (W) x 580 (D) mm | 6″ (H) x 79″ (W) x 23″ (D)